FCVS News

The Student News Site of Frederick County Virtual High School

FCVS News

FCVS News

Tom Hanks: Comedy review

Today I am going to be telling you about one of my favorite actor Tom Hanks, which also includes reviewing one of his popular movies, “Big”.
Tom Hanks: Comedy review

Thomas Jefferson Hanks born July 9th, 1956 is an American actor and filmmaker known for both his comedic and dramatic roles. He is one of the most popular and recognizable film stars worldwide and, is regarded as an American culture icon. Hank’s films have grossed more than 4.9 billion in North America and more than 9.96 billion worldwide making him the fourth highest paid actor in North America. He has received numerous honors including the AFL Life Achievement Award in 2022 the Kennedy Center Honor in 2014 the presidential medal of freedom and the French Legion of Honor both in 2016 as well as the Golden Globe Cecil B Demille Award in 2020. 

After graduating high school in Oakland Tom Hanks attended Junior College before transferring into the theater program at California State University he spent his Summers acting and working at the Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival in Ohio until 1980 when he dropped out of college and moved to New York City

In the late 1970’s Tom Hanks moved to New York City where he had a small part and a horror film in 1980 Hanks gained notice for his comical abilities as a co-star of the television series Bosom Buddies ( 1980 to 1982).

In the movie “Big”  Tom Hanks plays a 13 year old boy named John Baskin. He makes a big wish at a carnival to  fortune teller. He tells the fortune teller he wants to be big and he wakes up and he finds out that  his dream comes true.  After, He heads to New York City and gets a low-level job at Macmillan Toy Company. An encounter with the owner of the company leads to a promotion testing new toys. Soon a fellow employee, Susan Lawrence.  Takes a romantic interest in Josh. However, the pressure of living as an adult begins to overwhelm him, and he longs to return to his simple, former life as a boy.

In my opinion, Tom Hanks did a splendid performance in the movie.  Tom Hanks is relentlessly funny and he’s an amazing actor. I give the Movie “Big”  a 5.5 stars!|