FCVS News

The Student News Site of Frederick County Virtual High School

FCVS News

FCVS News

10 Best Surfing Spots In The World

This top 10 list is in no particular order, but this is a top 10 list of the best. Some years are better than others but that’s because of weather or other global problems.

1. Gold Coast, Australia

Perfect for all-year surfing, it is considered to be one of the best places. It has amazing point breaks and is a 40-mile stretch of beach. It is considered to be the gold standard for many pros. It’s Australia’s 6th largest city. 

2. Jeffery’s Bay, South Africa

Also known as J-Bay, located in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. Home to infamous supertubes (supers), that keeps so many coming back for more. It’s popular with high-level surfers and longboarders. 

3. Malibu, California

The USA has some of the best surfers around. Malibu is the poster board for the “perfect” place to surf- Hollywood has created this illusion. Zuma Beach, made popular from the hit TV show “Baywatch” , has amazing surf. 

4. Ericeira, Portugal

Europe’s only World surfing reserve, it is home to a quaint fishing village. A little more than 30 miles from Lisbon, it’s perfect for all surf levels. 

5. Hossegor, France

Southwestern coast of Landes, there are five beaches that make up this beach town. It has something for all, with amazing tubes and stunning beach breaks, this place has something for everyone.

6. Puerto Escondido, Mexico

Laid-back town in Mexico it is home to massive barrels. Clear waters and pristine sand, this town has different parts for everybody. Playa Zicatela is for pros or experienced riders. Playa Carrizalillo is for beginners and moderate riders. 

7. San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

A beach where not many people go to in Central America, good for a secluded vacation. Good for all levels and a better place to learn because of the small levels of people being there. It isn’t a secret place, but compared to Mexico, Costa Rica and other places it is a small region. 

8. Oahu, Hawaii

This place needs no introduction to surfing; fan or not. The home to Waimea Bay’s humongous breaks & Banzai Pipeline’s reef breaks. The whole island is considered to have the best surf spots. 

9. Santa Cruz, California

It’s a living surf history place and home to places of surfing for different levels. For beginners Cowell has gentle waves which are great to learn on. While intermediate and seasoned surfers can try out the right-hand point at Steamer Lane. 

10. Bukit Peninsula, Bali, Indonesia

A collection of top-tier breaks. From Padang Padang to Uluwatu it is home to all levels of surfers. Bukit’s coast is home to the best beaches in Bali and also considered to have prime surfing in Asia.