FCVS News

The Student News Site of Frederick County Virtual High School

FCVS News

FCVS News

Hepatitis and HIV Outbreak in Massachusetts.

There is an outbreak going on in Salem, Massachusetts where more than 450 people may have been exposed to HIV and also hepatitis over the past couple of years.

What happened?-  There was administration with an IV medication going on for a while now and people may have been exposed to hepatitis or HIV if there was IV going on around 2 years. 

When did it happen? –  The start of the outbreak happened about 2 years ago and the outbreak has just now started. They didn’t know about the outbreak until now.                                                                                                                          

Where it happened?- The outbreak happened in a hospital in Salem Massachusetts called the Salem hospital. 

Why did it happen?- The viruses spread because the hospital staff weren’t watching the sanitization and sterilization procedures. The virus was spread by the needles and syringes. 

Who all was involved?- The hospitals doctors and the nurses  were involved because they are the ones that are in charge of the safety and stuff around the hospital.  and the people that have been to that hospital in the past 2 years could have been exposed to the HIV or the hepatitis. 

The Salem hospital staff has notified “all of the patients who may have been exposed to the diseases and they need to take a standard test for the potential exposure”. The hospital spokesperson told the CNN reporter. They have said the risk to the patents is small but still needs to be watched just in case. They are providing free screenings at the hospital. And there is an ongoing investigation going on.