FCVS News

The Student News Site of Frederick County Virtual High School

FCVS News

FCVS News

How can social media affect mental health?

Social media can have both positive and negative impacts on mental health. On one hand it provides a platform for self-expression, connection and support. It allows people to share their experiences, find communities and feel less alone. However it can also contribute to feelings of inadequacy, comparison and anxiety. The constant exposure to carefully curated Highlight reels of others lives can create unrealistic expectations in a sense of fear of missing out. It’s important to find a balance, take breaks, and prioritize self-care when using social media to protect our mental well-being.

This shows how the social media usage has Rising dramatically over the years due to various factors. one major factor is the widespread availability of smartphones and internet access making it easier for people to connect and engage with social media platforms

I did a survey and asked 10 people to answer the following questions

1. Do ever feel anxious/stress/boredom when you cant access social media?
2. Have you ever compared yourself to others on social media and felt not enough?

About 80% of people who answered the survey said they compare themselves to others on social media and not feel enough. Doing this can cause insecurities and can make you feel inadequate and impact your mental health. It can make you feel worthless and can give you low self-esteem. It’s important to take breaks from social media, practice self-care and remember that what you see online can sometimes be not true.

About 70% of people who answered said they were either bored, anxious or stressed when they couldn’t access social media. This is because social media can cause anxiousness while creating a sense of disconnection and a fear of missing out on updates and social interactions. It’s like being left out of a party or not being able to join in on the fun.

Positive impacts                                                                       

•  providing a platform for self-expression
  • connecting with people globally
  • promoting social causes

Negative impacts             

• comparing yourself to others
  • cyber bullying
  • excessive screen time

In conclusion, the media can totally mess with our heads, right? It can make us feel stressed, anxious, and even down in the dumps. Seeing everyone’s highlight reels can make us feel like we’re not measuring up and not being able to assess it can leave us feeling bored and left out. It’s important to take breaks, set boundaries and remember that what we see on social media isn’t always the full picture.